Friday, September 30, 2011

Hmmm

Well, the netbook showed up yesterday, even though the tracker said it wouldn't.  USPS left it in the usual hiding spot and ran while I slept.  It's functional, though typing on the tiny little keyboard is challenging.  If nothing else, the apostrophe is in the wrong place.  I haven't managed to put Ubuntu onto it yet.  There is a forum thread over there 121 pages long on the subject.  The method required is technical enough that I may never attempt it.

There is one thing it can do that no other computer I've ever had could do . . . it fits in my purse!

For now, at least, I'll work with the extremely basic (Blogger's interface has more formatting options!) WordPad that's pre-installed on it.  It uses .txt files, and I can go back and forth between it and OpenOffice on my laptop (though I would prefer something that used .odt as OpenOffice and the Writer program that is part of Ubuntu does).

Poor little thing can't handle modern Flash at all, and can't be updated, which means no YouTube.  Of course that's why I wanted to change the OS.  Thankfully, I knew from the start that it was a super basic little thing.  (What do you expect for $60?)  I bought it for writing at work without pencil and paper, that's all, and it can do that, if only just.

No comments:

Post a Comment